"Light in the red or near infrared (NIR) range generated by low energy laser of light-emitting diode (LED) arrays has been reported to have beneficial biological effects".
- Zhand R et al. Near infrared light protects cardiomyocytes from hypoxia and reoxygenation injury by a nitric oxide dependent mechanism.
J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2009 Jan;46(1):4-14.
Nobel Prize Wining Science
Otto Warburg (1883-1970) was a German biochemist who discovered cell oxidation and the respiratory enzyme that catalyzes the process. For his work he won the 1931 Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine.
Otto Warburg discovered that applying specific frequencies of light to mitochondria stimulated their activity.
Three Clearly Defined Mechanisms of Action
- Mitochondrial chromophores (inc. Cytochrome C Oxidase) absorb photons, proton pumping and ATP production
Increased energy available to the cell -> increased/normalized metabolism
- Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) production and mitochondrial signalling
Stimulates/suppresses transcription factors, DNS/RNA synthesis -> plethora of tissue/celluar activity
- Inductive Nitric Oxide (NO) production through absorption of photons by Nitric Oxide Synthase
Increase micro and regional blood flow and osteoclastic activity
Photobiomodulation Enhances in vivo Orthodontic Tooth Movement
- Increase the velocity of tooth movement through the stimulation of the osteoclasts and osteoblasts (Ross et al 2012)
- Laser irradiation stimulates the velocity of tooth movement via induction of RANK and RANKL in rats (Fujita et al 2008)
- Accelerates the velocity of tooth movement via stimulation of the alveolar bone remodeling in rats (Yoshida et al 2009)
- Increased velocity of tooth movement and MMP-9, cathespin K, and integrin subunits of alpha (v) beta 3 expression in rats (Yamaguchi et al 2010)
Photobiomodulation Enhances in vitro Bone Metabolism
- Increases osteocyte numbers (Kreisler 2002, Ueda et al 2003)
- Increases DNA synthesis (Mognato 2004, Yamada 1991)
- Increases collagen production (Wataha 2004)
- Increases Osteoblast proliferation, bone nodule formation ALP activity and gene expression (Barushka et al 1995)
- Increases Osteoblastic activity (Yaakobi et al 1996)
- Increases Ostoclastic activity (Ross et al 2009)
- Mechanism Understood
- Clinically Proven
OrthoPulse® uses safe, low intensity near infra-red light (850nm wavelength) to facilitate bone remodelling on a molecular level without any adverse effects.